Yesterday morning, I woke up and jumped onto Facebook, only to realize that this was the week of Thanksgiving. That’s right. I totally thought we had another week, so I was feeling completely blind sided. How could it have snuck up on me like this? Looking back, there were signs…lots of friends talking about how their in-laws were already in town for the holiday, or other friends who had already taken off for vacation. I just kept thinking, “Wow. Lucky ducks that they can take so much time away from home and work to celebrate the holiday.”
Anyhoo, now that I know what week it is, I’ve decided to get my Gratitude Girdle on! That’s right. There are Thinking Caps, Fancy Pants and now…Gratitude Girdles. But instead of stuffing rolls of fat into this girdle, I’m going to stuff all the things I’m grateful for into it. So, here are my Top 10 Reasons to be Grateful this year…
1. My husband. He is, to put it plainly, the kind of man every woman dreams about. He’s handsome, romantic, smart, hilarious…and really good in the sack.
2. My daughter. When she’s not driving me to the brink of insanity, she’s pretty darned amazing. Funny and adorable, she’s everything I dreamed my little girl would be.
3. My cat. Dr. Snuggle has provided more than 12 years of loyal service warming my feet at night and discoloring my carpet with his vomit.
4. My critique partners. I don’t know what I would do without them. I can tell them things that I can’t tell the rest of the world, and they understand and support me no matter what. Oh, and they’re really good at critiquing my manuscripts.
5. Pasta. For being so easy to make and for delivering Parmesan cheese to my mouth.
6. Cindy Loo. She’s the best puppet in the world, and she makes my day a little brighter when I stick my hand up her hoo-ha.
7. My nanny. She does all the stuff I don’t like to do, like dishes and laundry and cleaning poop out of the crib, in addition to providing the most amazing care for our little princess.
8. My local mommy friends. I would probably think I was crazy if it weren’t for my mom friends telling me I’m not.
9. The rest of my family. Eric and I may have slightly dysfunctional families, but we know it could be so much worse. And when compared with other people’s families, we don’t seem that dysfunctional at all. Actually, we’re all functioning quite well together these days, and that’s certainly something to be grateful for.
10. Vampire Diaries and Christmas Music. These two things make me extremely happy right now, so I’m grouping them together in my “things that make me happy” category.
If you leave a comment with the things you’re most grateful for this year, I’ll enter you into the Regency Christmas Summons Prize Extravaganza!